Santa Cruz Shakespeare’s summer outdoor performances have long been a cultural institution for generations of theatre-goers. This summer, we opened a new chapter in the organization’s history: the Audrey Stanley Grove in the City of Santa Cruz’s DeLaveaga Park. This ideal location will serve the Festival and our patrons well into the foreseeable future.
The construction costs:
Santa Cruz Shakespeare is thrilled to announce that we have completed our goal of raising $1.37 million for our new outdoor venue. The Grove’s construction was funded with pledges and one-time donations from over 950 households in the Santa Cruz community and beyond.
We are so grateful to our donors, patrons, and all of the philanthropists who made The Grove possible. It is resoundingly clear that the tradition of outdoor Shakespeare in the summer is important to this community, and we are honored that they have entrusted us with the means to support our organization with an incredible new venue.
In addition, a range of local businesses and firms supplied deep discounts and in-kind donations of construction materials to create the space, as well as the countless hours of volunteer time spent in aiding the opening of the theater space on time.
Supporting The Grove going forward:
Santa Cruz Shakespeare continues to accept donations from donors in support of The Grove. These funds are an important part of helping the company develop the facility with additional amenities and improvements, as well as providing funding for maintaining the space. There are also a limited number naming opportunities for seats, picnic tables, and lobby benches still available for those who wish to honor family, friends, or a loved one.
As we prepare for the 2017 Season of outdoor performances, SCS thanks you for standing with us and making Santa Cruz Shakespeare a priority for financial support.
WATCH: Building The Grove in 93 Days
The Grove offers:
- Easy accessibility — seats are directly adjacent the parking area
- Even grading allows for a safer and smoother walk to seats and comfort while watching the shows
- Box seats for groundlings along each side of the theater space, with the opportunity to purchase a box for family and friends
- Shade for matinees
- A more intimate relationship to the stage, placing you closer to the actors
- Creation of a lobby space for picnics
- Grading/sloping of the land to enhance viewing and sightlines for patrons;
- Patron accessibility with accessible pathways in the theater, conforming to 2013 updated accessibility statutes
- Improved lighting for parking lot
- Construction of the stage and backstage, including added under-stage storage, and security for stage properties and lighting equipment
- Creation of a technical booth for stage personnel
- Purchase of technical equipment and machines, for lighting, sound, and wardrobe
- Enhanced electrical power to support stage and auxiliary lighting
- Renovation of an existing Quonset hut for use as box office, audience services, and storage
Santa Cruz Shakespeare is a registered 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization and our tax ID number is 46-4635444.