TITLE: Director of Development and Member Benefits
Click HERE for PDF of job description
Organizational Summary: Santa Cruz Shakespeare’s mission is to create and strengthen community by bringing audiences and theater artists together to celebrate stories about our collective humanity. Our summer festival matches unparalleled professional performances with inspiring outdoor beauty in the heart of Santa Cruz. SCS is a treasured 39-year tradition in Santa Cruz County, attracting multi-generational local theatregoers to a shared experience of exceptional classical theatre that provides a canvas to explore, question, and celebrate the political, social, and human condition.
SCS is managed by a dedicated staff of 4 year-round full-time, and over 80 seasonal employees, hosting theatre artists from throughout the Bay Area and beyond over the course of its summer repertory season.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Director of Development and Member Benefits is responsible for designing and executing a comprehensive and diversified fundraising plan which includes annual giving, major gifts, special events, grants, corporate and service-group giving, planned giving, and e-philanthropy. They are also responsible for donor communication strategy and planning and overseeing its implementation. The candidate should possess outstanding writing, organizational, and communication skills to build strong relationships with donors, volunteers and other stakeholders in order to maintain and increase financial support for SCS. The Director of Development and Member Benefits is part of the management team and works in close collaboration with the Managing Director, Artistic Director, Staff, and Board.
The Director of Development and Member Benefits will plan and implement SCS’s fundraising programs, including the annual fund campaign that provides general operating support for seasonal productions while also facilitating the support of our most generous donors, the Producer’s Circle, with their benefits related to the summer performance season. The director will manage exclusive events, corporate sponsorships, the planned giving program, benefits fulfillment, capital campaigns, oversee and schedule grant applications and reporting, and all other aspects of fundraising to advance the mission of the organization. SCS’s annual fund constitutes approximately 50% of the $1.5 million annual operating budget.
A successful Director of Development and Member Benefits will:
- Be a dynamic member of our core staff who is enthusiastic about the importance of philanthropy to local cultural organizations
- Be a professional, articulate, and an informed ambassador for SCS in the philanthropic community and beyond
- Inspire engagement of staff, artists, board members, and outside supporters through leadership by example
- Manage the implementation of a comprehensive strategic development plan to meet or exceed contributed income goals with particular focus on increasing individual membership at major giving levels
- Effectively manage a portfolio of donors and prospects while strategizing with the Managing Director, Artistic Director, and Board of Directors to maintain and grow individual portfolios
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (but are not limited to):
- Execute SCS’s annual development plan to solicit and secure funds, meeting specific quantifiable goals across corporate, foundation, individual, and earned income revenue streams
- Equip and mobilize Managing Director, Artistic Director, and Board of Directors to play an integral role in fundraising by strategizing to identify, cultivate, steward, and solicit new corporate, individual, major donor, and planned giving supporters
- Communicate effectively with the organization’s Artistic, Education, Marketing and Box Office staff to help ensure fundraising is in alignment with SCS’s vision, programming, branding, and messaging
- Maintain and enhance engagement with all donors with a focus on Producer’s Circle level supporters
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills by responding promptly to donor inquiries
- Sell and process ticket orders for Producer’s Circle members via phone
- Organize and execute benefits for membership including, donor sponsorship of summer performances, managing picnic table reservations and donor wine gifts – Provide direction to the ticket office and front of house to coordinate these benefits at the theater during performances
- Be present at all SCS events including all performances during the summer festival season.
- Previous fundraising and development experience in the arts or community engagement (preferred)
- Ability to communicate effectively to a diverse set of stakeholders while maintaining confidential donor information
- A proactive and creative problem-solver who can adapt to changing situations
- Demonstrated experience using cloud database software
- Must be able to work well independently and being able to perform in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication and documentation skills required
- Candidate must be able to successfully handle multiple priorities in sometimes high stress situations and ability to work with the public and possess conflict resolution skills
- Passionate about performing arts and SCS’s mission
- Degree in arts administration, management, communications, or related field
- Prior customer service experience
SCS provides a competitive salary and benefit package commensurate with experience.
Please email resume and cover letter in a PDF format, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position to firstname.lastname@example.org , Attn: Larry Mabrey, Managing Director.
SCS is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. EOE.